When do we play?
- In-house recreational league plays in fall only – 1st week Sep. to 3rd week Nov. (registration in August/September)
- Travel teams play in fall & spring – Sep-Nov & Apr-Jun (tryouts in May/June for following fall)
- In the winter, we offer training clinics and futsal – Jan to April (registration in Dec/Jan)
- In the summer, we partner with Mass Youth Soccer and youth programs to provide training to local youth, and other clinic
- For Travel Teams - Please contact your coach directly
- For Rec. Teams & Leagues - Cancelations due to weather will be announced 2 hours before game or practice via email from TeamSnap, Alert from Coach or call Weather Hotline: 617-301-8363
How to register and communications:
Where do we play?
- Home fields for travel teams and recreational league are in South End & Roxbury (Rotch, Madison Park, Roxbury YMCA, Hurley); here's a link to the field locations.
What age bracket is my child in?
- Rec, In-house league ages:
- Teams by Grade Kindergarten to 6th Grade (5 yr. to 13 yr old), teams are separated by grade into co-ed teams
- Example: Kindergarten; Grades 1/2; Grades 3/4; Grades 5/6 (and, grade 7/8)
- Travel team ages:
- Boys and Girls teams for by Grade for Grades 3-12 (9 yr – 18 yr. Olds): See BAYS for ages for teams
- SES played in two year age group teams: Grades 3/4; Grades 5/6; Grades 7/8, etc.
- Notes on Travel Teams Ages: Our Travel teams play in BAYS league and players must meet both criteria of age and grade in order to be eligible, waivers may apply. For example, a player in the 6th grade born January 2, 2004 is eligible for the Grade 6 program because he meets both the grade and date of birth requirements. A player in the 6th grade but born on December 30, 2003 must play in the Grade 8 program because he does not meet the date of birth requirement for the Grade 6 program.
- The BAYS Grade 2 Policy (formerly BAYS U-8 policy) provides that in Fall 2016/Spring 2017 (a) players born on or after 1/1/2008 may not play on a BAYS team unless they are in the third grade (or higher), and (b) children born on or after 1/1/2009 may not play on a BAYS team no matter what grade they are in.
What do players need to bring to the field?
- All players will be provided a t-shirt, jersey or uniform depending on age bracket and team. Please wear shin guards, sneakers or turf shoes.
- We have a shin guard and cleat recycling program, please bring donations with you to the field and please let your coach know if you need cleats or shin guards. Balls and other equipment will be provided on the field.
What is the cost?
Recreational play is at no cost, we only ask families donate any amount they can, every $1 helps offset equipment, uniform and admin. costs.
Travel teams have a suggested donation to help cover costs for leagues, uniforms and training; however, donations are not required and every child invited to play on a travel team will play regardless of ability to pay, all donations of any amount are greatly appreciated.
Sponsorships for teams and leagues available, please email email@example.com for more information.
Does every player get placed on a team?
- See details below for differences of recreation and travel teams.
When are tryouts and registration?
(See Register Page)
When is Registration for Fall Coed In-house, Recreational league:
- Registration online opens in August and in-person assessments happen in Sept. on 1st Thu. and 1st Sat. after Labor Day ages 5-14.
- Email announcements sent pre-season and website updated.
- See more information below on differences between recreation and travel, age groups and more.
When are Tryouts/Placements Times for Travel Teams:
- Tryouts in May for travel teams that play in both fall & spring – teams include Gr. 3/4 (u10), Gr. 5/6 (u12), Gr. 7/8 (u14) boys and girls teams
- If you missed tryout dates, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to see if slots still available
- See more information below on differences between recreation and travel, age groups, dates and more
How can I get involved?
South End Soccer works ONLY because of our donors and volunteers. Many thanks to all those who give their time, support and hard work!
The generous donations of funding and time of parents, community members, local businesses and organizations make it possible for neighborhood youth to get on the field without fees or participant charges.
Donations & sponsorships provide the funding for registration and insurance with Mass Youth Soccer, equipment, uniforms, coach training and more. Coaches are provided training and support to deliver the highest quality of training to our players.
Contact us at email@example.com to get on the field to coach or to sponsor the program TODAY!
Note on Recreational vs. Travel:
South End Soccer has offered recreational league (“in-house”) play since 2008. We give any child the opportunity to play, every registered player is placed on a team (space allowing, waitlists may apply). Our goal is to break down any barrier for urban youth to play soccer, thus our recreational league is free. We fund the program through donations of parent, community members, businesses and organizations.
Travel play began in 2014 and we do not currently have the ability to place all interested players on a travel team. Travel team players are selected based on an assessment process of skill, commitment level and positive attitude. We don’t require any fees to play but do have a suggested donation for those whom are able, we appreciate the donation to help with costs of premiere uniforms, coach training and league fees. Any donation amounts are greatly appreciated and every child invited to a travel team will play regardless of abliity to donate.
We have grown tremendously since founding in 2008, and we greatly appreciate your continued support as we create opportunities for urban youth to get on the field and create pathways for youth to play at the skill and commitment level best for them.
Schedules from Fall 2017
Fall In-House League Schedule 2017
(Rec. League Season 2017: Sep. - Nov.; Ages 5-12)
- 9am-10am: Clinics and Scrimmages @ Rotch Field, Randolph & Albany Sts., first day is Sep. 16th @ 9am
Grades 1 & 2 Teams: 2017 Schedule
- Meet Coach on Sat. Sep. 16th @ 10am, Location: Rotch Field
- Practices on Tuesday 6:30-7:30p @ Madison Park Field, first day practice is Sep. 19th
- Games on Saturdays between 9am-1pm @ Hurley Field (game times rotate, see schedule)
Grades 3 & 4 Teams: 2017 Schedule
- Meet Coach on Sat. Sep. 16th @ 11am, Location: Rotch Field
- Practices on Thursdays 6:30-7:30p @ Madison Park Field, first day practice is Sep. 21st
- Games on Saturdays 10:30am @ Rotch Field
Grades 5, 6, 7, 8 Clinics: 2017 Schedule
- Sundays @ 2:00pm, Location: Madison Park Lower Field
Fall & Spring Travel Teams 2017
(Sample Details from Fall 2017 Season: Sep. - Nov.; Ages 9-14 & High School)
Boys & Girls Travel Teams Gr. 3/4; Gr. 5/6 & Gr. 7/8
- Practices: 2x a week (Mon. & Wed. or Tue. & Thu.)
- Practices start Sep. 5: Contact your coach for practice schedules & download TeamSnap Mobile App for schedules, roster and contact information
- Games: Travel teams play 5 home and 5 away games in BAYS League
- Go to BAYS website for schedule: Fall 2017 games for runs from Saturday, September 9, 10 games through November 11. There are games on Columbus Day weekend & Veterans Day.
High School Fall 2017 Sunday 7v7 League
- Fall of 2017, South End Soccer will have two options for high school players
- South End Soccer alumni players in high school
- Girls team contacts: Team Manager: Stacey Bascombe, firstname.lastname@example.org & Coach: Monica, Mumulcahy.email@example.com
- Boys team contact: Coach & Team Manager: Peter Hoang, firstname.lastname@example.org
- BostonSCORES high school players register with Coach Ethan Goldman, email@example.com
- 7 v 7 games begin on Sunday, September 17, seven games through November 5. No games on Columbus Day weekend.
- Note for spring teams: tryouts to take place over the winter